NComputing Knowledge Base
Getting Started with RX420 (HDX) Thin Client
The following is a quick start guide to get you started with the RX420 (HDX) thin client solution. Once you complete these steps, you will be eligible to:
- Gain access to NoTouch Center and unlock the 1-year bundled software maintenance update subscription that comes with your RX420 (HDX) purchase to access future software and RX420 (HDX) firmware updates
- Extended default RX420 (HDX) hardware warranty (extending the standard 1-year from the date of manufacture warranty to 1-year from the first time seen by NoTouch Center)
- Asset management of deployed RX420 (HDX) devices with NComputing Management Portal and expedited hardware warranty claims
- For RX420(HDX) thin clients, the default audio setting optimizes the USB audio quality and performance. This may have a negative effect on analog audio. If analog audio (headset/speaker) or HDMI audio (built-in monitor speaker) is to be used, please follow the knowledge base article here to configure the proper audio setting to provide best audio quality and performance.
- The RX420 (HDX) thin client comes with a native dual display with resolutions up to 4K Ultra HD. By default, the system will output the same image on both screens ("cloned" mode in our terminology) which is usually a safe bet and also works if there is only one monitor connected. In an office scenario where you have two monitors next to each other, you most probably want to have both monitors being part of a large logical desktop, this is called "merged" mode. Please refer to the Multimonitor section for instructions.
Step 1. Create a new NComputing Management Portal account
This is where you will be able to register and manage your RX420(HDX) devices and download NoTouch Center and future software/firmware upgrades
Go to NComputing, click on login|register to create NComputing Management Portal account for your company.
After login, you can find the button for NComputing Management Portal
Step 2. Download NComputing Virtual Appliance (which includes NoTouch Center installation)
Once you have created an NComputing Management Portal account, you will be able to download the NComputing Virtual Appliance. The NComputing Virtual Appliance is a 64bit Linux-based Virtual Appliance (VA) preconfigured to run in a virtual machine environment. It includes NComputing NoTouch Center to manage EX400 thin clients plus an easy-to-use web-based administration interface to perform tasks such as updating or backing up the Virtual Appliance.
To download NComputing Virtual Appliance
Login to NComputing website using your account created in step 1. Then, click on the ‘management portal’ link on the top menu to access the NComputing Management Portal.
Then select the “Software Downloads” tab and click on NComputing NoTouch Center Virtual Appliance to download the OVA file. The NComputing NoTouch Center Virtual Appliance is shipped as an OVA file (Open Virtualization Archive), the single-file version of an Open Virtualization Format image that can be easily used with all current virtualization platforms.
Step 3. Install NComputing NoTouch Center Virtual Appliance
Once the Virtual Appliance (OVA file) has been downloaded, please follow the instruction in this link to install the NComputing NoTouch Center Virtual Appliance. : NComputing Virtual Appliance
Step 4. Connect your RX420 (HDX) devices to NoTouch Center
Once NComputing NoTouch Center Virtual Appliance has been installed, you can then establish RX420 (HDX) thin client connections with NoTouch Center in multiple ways.
Please refer to this link for details. : Short introduction (NTC)
IMPORTANT NOTE: Before you power on the RX420 (HDX) thin client, please make sure the device is connected to a display monitor first.
Step 5. Register your RX420 (HDX) devices with NComputing Management Portal and access RX420 (HDX) firmware update
Once your RX420 (HDX) devices are connected to NoTouch Center, you can then register your RX420 (HDX) devices to NComputing Management Portal to access RX420 (HDX) firmware updates and manage your deployed RX420 (HDX) devices from NComputing Management Portal. If there are any updates to NoTouch Center, you can also find the software update files here.
Please refer to this link for details : NoTouch Center RX-HDX Client list for device registration
Step 6. Upgrade RX420 (HDX) firmware (recommend using NoTouch Center)
Once you download the RX420 (HDX) firmware update file from NComputing Management Portal, there are multiple ways to update the firmware to your RX420 (HDX) devices. We recommend using NoTouch Center to deliver the firmware update.
Please refer to this link on different ways to update the RX420 (HDX) firmware. : Firmware Update